Wednesday 21 February 2007

Chapter 16: "Come With Me"

“I can’t let anyone take me away. Andrew told me…”

“I know what he said, dear,” said Auntie Becky, “don’t worry, I’ll go and see who it is and get rid of them. I bet it’s just someone trying to pressure an old lady like me into changing my gas supplier. Go and wait in the bedroom.”


Without making a sound, Emily sneaked up the stairs and into the bedroom where she would have liked to have slept last night and sat on the edge of the bed. She left the door open slightly so she could hear what was going on downstairs.


It’s not as if I can do anything up here if they’ve come for me
, she thought. Andrew said they knew a lot about us but he was so sure the people he worked with would take a long time to work their way through the family tree before they got to Auntie Becky.

Becky watched Emily disappear up the stairs then went to answer the door. I’m sure this is a lot of fuss about nothing, she thought, Andrew has always been the eccentric of the family. That was the reason she didn’t put the security chain on the door before she opened it and it was also the reason she invited the man at the door inside.


“Hello officer,” she said, “what can I do for you? Do come in, it’s boiling out there.”


The policeman at the door stepped inside. “Thank you ma’am, it certainly is.”


What is she doing?
Emily thought, Andrew told her not to trust the police.

“Can I get you anything, officer? Something cold to drink? My husband was a police officer and he always hated the summer. Much preferred the winter. At least then you can get into the car and warm up. He always said it was easier to warm up than cool down.”


“Your husband sounds like a clever man. No thank you, ma’am, I can’t stay for long. I’m looking for a relative of yours, Emily Owen. Have you seen her in the last twenty four hours?”


Don’t do it, Becky. Don’t tell him I’m up here.


“I have seen her, officer. As a matter of fact, she’s just upstairs.”


Damn you, Becky.


“Do you think I could have a word with her, ma’am?”


“Of course, officer. Emily! Come down. Don’t worry, it’s the police.”


Knowing there was nothing she could do to get out of it, Emily got to her feet and edged her way down the stairs but stopped halfway.


“Hi, Emily. Is Doctor Andrew Owen your husband?”


“That’s right.”


“OK. I take it you know about the attack on your husband’s lab last night.”


Emily nodded.


“And have you seen him since?”


Emily shook her head.


“We’ve got some questions for you. Can you come down to the station?”


“Why can’t you talk to me here?”


“I don’t want to impose on your relative here. It’s best for everyone if you come down to the station with me.”


“What if I don’t want to go with you?”


“Like I said, Mrs Owen, it’s best for everyone if you come with me.”

No comments: