Friday 27 April 2007

Chapter 46: Dreams

I was in a terrible place.

Drifting in and out of consciousness, I was struggling to determine what was real and what wasn’t. I wanted to call out for help but couldn’t.


The pain in my neck was spreading all over me, like a swarm of insects crawling into every corner of my body and nibbling at my bones and muscles. I was being overcome by something I had never felt before. Every nerve ending was on fire and my limbs felt like they were expanding and contracting over and over again.


My physical body was out of my control. My jaw was cracking and clicking and my front teeth were shifting in their sockets, like they were trying to escape from my mouth.


I heard voices echoing all around me.


Shoot him in the head now!


His heart is still beating.


Isn’t there anything else we can do?


Nothing at all.


Then came the visions. Bright colours flashing before me followed by complete darkness. It felt like I was falling down a bottomless pit. More images flashed into my head from the past and present.


Officer Myers, driven by bloodlust, leaping from building to building.


The mutilated body of Danny Johnson lying in the morgue with Doctor Schreiber poking around in his wounds.


Sarah, my beautiful wife, lying battered and bruised on our kitchen floor, her limbs twisted into unnatural shapes.


Standing face to face with my wife’s murderer.


Images flashed before my eyes that I didn’t recognise.


Running up a flight of stairs with scores of bloodthirsty vampires in pursuit.


Looking down at a severed head in my hands.


How could this happen to me? Twenty-four hours earlier I was just a regular over-worked cop needing a good night’s sleep. Now I didn’t know if I was going to make it through the night, and if I did, would I be the same person when I woke up?


Am I the same person now?


Will I feel the need to feed on blood every night?


Will I ever wake up?



Support independent publishing: buy this book on Lulu.

No comments: